In this post we will briefly introduce 16 IHG hotels & resorts brands: suites, luxury & more
With nearly 6,000 properties in more than 100 countries, IHG Hotels & Resorts, known as IHG, is certainly one of the largest hotel chains in the world. The British-headquartered company is the mastermind behind some of the most profitable hotel brands in the world, including Holiday Inn, Candlewood Suites, and Crowne Plaza. IHG also has numerous luxury brands such as InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, which make up a majority of our best ways to redeem IHG points. In this guide, we’ll be taking a look at IHG’s 16 brands, touching on the subtle flairs that each brand has. Several brands are new entrants to IHG’s massive portfolio and 1 brand, in particular, hasn’t been unveiled yet.
IHG Brand Overview IHG has a gigantic portfolio of nearly 6,000 properties, which makes it fall just short of Hilton in terms of the number of properties. The brands are generally lumped into 1 of 3 categories: Mainstream, Upscale, and Luxury.
In all, there are 16 brands, and they range from more budget accommodations such as Candlewood Suites to opulent resort spots like Six Senses. Lastly, IHG is in the process of executing its partnership with Mr and Mrs Smith, a boutique travel agency boasting partnerships with over 400 hotels globally. Mr and Mrs Smith properties aren’t owned by the travel agency — instead, it is a curated selection of the world’s best hotels in places like Croatia, Sri Lanka, Iceland, Morocco, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, and more. Mr and Mrs Smith properties aren’t within the IHG brand, but instead, you can earn and redeem IHG points for stays at select properties.
Chase IHG Credit Cards Chase is the exclusive bank and credit card issuer for IHG. Chase offers personal credit cards to earn IHG points. Recommended IHG Cards CREDIT CARD INFO
Earn 60,000 bonus points after spending $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
Earn up to 15 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
Earn 2x points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; then 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
Good to Excellent Credit Recommended (670-840)
No Annual Fee
Earn 150,000 bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
Earn up to 25 points total per $1 spent when you stay at an IHG hotel
Earn 2x points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants; then 1 point per $1 on all other purchases.
Enjoy a Reward Night after each account anniversary year at eligible IHG hotels worldwide. Plus, enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights
Platinum Elite status as long as you remain a Premier card member
Good to Excellent Credit Recommend (670-850)
Annual Fee: $0 for the first year, $89 thereafter
With the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card, you can earn up to 25 points per dollar spent at IHG Hotels & Resorts worldwide. That’s an amazing multiplier, and it’s a sure-fire way to bank up a ton of points fast. Plus, you’ll receive an annual reward hotel night for a room up to 40,000 points just by holding this card! The perks don’t stop there because you’ll receive automatic Platinum status when you have the IHG Premier card and Gold status when you have the IHG® Rewards Club Traveler Credit Card. The biggest incremental benefit with Platinum status is the ability to get room upgrades (suites and specialty rooms are excluded) along with 50% bonus points on stays. Gold members get 10% bonus points, priority check-in, a welcome amenity (usually a beverage/snack credit), and the benefit of points not expiring. However, at many properties, you may get an unpublished benefit of a free breakfast certificate for yourself and 1 other guest as the welcome amenity. It varies from hotel to hotel, however.
IHG Rewards Loyalty Program IHG Rewards is the proprietary name of IHG’s loyalty program. Importantly, IHG’s award pricing structure is now 100% dynamic, which means that the reward night prices will fluctuate depending on tons of factors, including the cash price of the hotel, the seasonality of the location, etc. For the most part, these changes have been beneficial, offering up award nights that were cheaper than in the past. This is similar to Hilton Honors but in contrast to Marriott Bonvoy and World of Hyatt. Unfortunately, there’s no good way to predict how much an award night at a particular hotel will now cost, except to search for award availability. In general, award nights will generally range from around 10,000 points per night up to 80,000 points per night at the most lavish, opulent, and expensive properties. You can also pay partially for a stay with Points & Cash.
16 IHG Hotel Brands IHG’s 16 hotel brands range from budget accommodations to epic lavish retreats. It’s safe to say that IHG offers a brand that will fit almost anyone’s tastes. IHG’s brand flavors and focuses are definitely worth digging into.
1. Atwell Suites Atwell Suites is an upper-midscale all-suites brand that has recently been unveiled by IHG. Atwell Suites caters to those seeking upper-midscale, all-suites propertieswho need accommodations for 4 to 6 nights, which falls between a traditional hotel booking and extended-stay bookings. Each suite will have a kitchenette, which is not quite the fully-equipped kitchen offered by Candlewood Suites and Staybridge Suites. One of the priorities of Atwell Suites is to be able to accommodate more guests through convertible spaces and furniture. Free breakfast is offered with “2 to 3 signature hot items alongside cold, grab-and-go options and premium coffee,” according to its official press-release. Atwell Suites certainly seems to be a middle-ground between Holiday Inn and Staybridge Suites, and it’s extremely exciting to see further differentiation across brands.
2. avid hotels avid hotels deliver exceptional value with all the essentials. avid hotels are IHG’s essentials- and value-focused brand promising a great night’s sleep in a clean room with a free, high-quality, grab-and-go breakfast. You’ll enjoy a modern design and friendly service in these refreshing properties. You can enjoy free, freshly-ground 24-hour bean-to-cup coffee as well. The bright accommodations, premium bedding, and high-tech options make this an excellent choice of accommodation for travelers.
3. Candlewood Suites Candlewood Suites focuses on the value-minded business traveler and homey leisure traveler. Candlewood Suites focuses on extended-stay, all-suite accommodations for business travelers. Each suite offers a fully-equipped kitchen, an outdoor gazebo grill, and a snack system called the Candlewood Cupboard. The kitchen includes a full-size fridge, stovetop, microwave, dishwasher, pots, pans, utensils, plates, glasses, plenty of counter space, and more. Additionally, you’ll get a work area with large desk space, plenty of storage, and an ironing board. You’ll have access to a fully-equipped gym, pet-friendly accommodations, free guest laundry, and the ability to borrow anything from a crockpot to a waffle maker.
4. Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts Crowne Plaza is IHG’s largest upscale brand, focusing on business travel as well as meeting/event experiences. Typically located near major urban centers, gateway cities, and even resort destinations, IHG’s premium brand Crowne Plaza is designed for the digitally savvy, flexible, and mobile business traveler. You’ll always be connected to Wi-Fi and power at Crowne Plaza. Plus, you can enjoy quality sleep with its aromatherapy kits, premium bedding, quiet zones, and guaranteed wake up calls. Also, you can stay energized and sharp by being able to access gym facilities and clean, freshly-prepared meals at all properties. Also, hosting and finding meeting/event space is brilliantly straightforward when booking Crowne Plaza properties.
5. EVEN Hotels EVEN Hotels is a wellness-focused brand with strong roots in China and the U.S. EVEN Hotels is a lifestyle brand focusing on wellness, including best-in-class fitness experiences, healthier food choices, and natural relaxation spaces. You can bet that the 4 pillars of hotel wellness — fitness facilities, wellness dining options, relaxation spots, and comfortable sleeping environments — are of the highest priority. Even for business travelers, you’ll enjoy fast and free Wi-Fi and cozy, well-lit workspaces.
6. Holiday Inn Club Vacations Holiday Inn Club Vacations is a timeshare brand that is not owned or operated by the IHG brand. Holiday Inn Club Vacations is the IHG-branded timeshare arm. Although they’re not owned or operated by IHG, they are still an IHG brand. There are 28 properties in this brand, all within the U.S. Most of these properties are focused on resort-style experiences, ranging from beach escapes to mountain retreats, paired with spacious accommodations.
7. Holiday Inn Express Holiday Inn Express appeals to families as well as traveling business people. Its affordable accommodations are laser-focused on offering exceptional value, whether you’re looking for meeting spaces, group events, or just a comfortable place to stay. Additionally, all of your stays include a hot, fresh breakfast within the common breakfast area.
8. Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts offers a mainstream experience focused on delivering exceptional value. The 4 key tenets of Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts are:
At Your Service
Room For Everyone
Full-on Fun is its offer to make the most of your stay with exciting, on-site activities for kids from group recreation to golf and even live shows. Unbeatable Value is its commitment to giving you the bells and whistles at no extra charge. At Your Service is the ease of hosting special events, whether it’s a family reunion, work event, or wedding. Room For Everyone means that its numerous room options suit traveler groups from families to solo explorers.
9. Hotel Indigo Hotel Indigo is one of IHG’s upscale boutique brands delivering local flavors to its guests. Hotel Indigo is IHG’s boutique propertybrand. Every property is different, and the properties all offer engaging service and distinctive local personalities. Every property has a spa-inspired bathroom, inviting guest rooms, complimentary Wi-Fi, 24-hour business services, 24-hour fitness centers, creative meeting space, and an onsite bar/restaurant focused on local flavors.
10. HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts HUALUXE is IHG’s upscale hotel brand designed specifically for Chinese guests. HUALUXE is the first (and perhaps only?) upscale international hotel brand specifically for Chinese guests. This makes a ton of sense because IHG is a company that has received massive Chinese investment over the years. As a result, IHG created a brand catering to luxury Chinese travelers. Talk about commitment! The 4 principles of HUALUXE are Chinese etiquette, status recognition, rejuvenation with nature, and enabling spaces. In all, this is the perfect place to experience top-notch Chinese hospitality, and all the staff at HUALUXE Hotels and Resorts are specially trained in this.
11. InterContinental Hotels & Resorts InterContinental Hotels & Resorts is the namesake and flagship brand of IHG with a lengthy history of exhilarating its guests. InterContinental is probably the most well-known hotel brand under the IHG umbrella, and is its flagship brand. The exhilarating luxury brand is best at offering opulent experiences, gastronomic delights, splendid relaxation, and much, much more.
12. Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants are a luxury brand specializing in playful design, superlative style, and personalized service. Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is IHG’s luxury version of boutique hotels. Similar, but more luxurious than Hotel Indigo, Kimpton Hotels focuses on art, wellness, award-winning dining, and bold, playful designs. You’ll get unique perks that vary at every hotel, ranging from complimentary coffee/tea in hotel lobbies to hosted wine hours, to workout classes, and even pop-up photography installations! All rooms offer luxurious bedding and complimentary toiletries, such as cell phone chargers, deodorant, coffee makers, lip balm, humidifiers, and even TSA-approved liquid bags!
13. Regent Hotels & Resorts Regent Hotels & Resorts is a luxury brand that was acquired by IHG in 2018. Regent Hotels & Resorts is one of IHG’s newest acquisitions. This luxury brand is renowned for its relaxing environments and the heartfelt destination vibes that the properties exude. Whether it’s indulging in adventures, reveling in lavish accommodations, or just exploring the new style of luxury created by Regent, there’s something to love at all of these properties.
14. Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas Six Senses is the authentic, personal, and sustainable luxury brand of IHG. Its origins as a Thai company provides a hint of how service-focused this brand is. Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas are entirely focused on building the most personalized wellness experience for you. The “Six Senses” referenced are sleep, eat, spa, move, mindfulness, and grow. There are specially curated experiences with the end goal of improving your 6 senses at each property, whether it’s wellness specialists, cultural events, or private clubs. This is perhaps the most luxurious hotel brand under the IHG umbrella, which is definitely something to get excited about.
15. Staybridge Suites Staybridge offers spacious accommodations with kitchen-style amenities. Staybridge Suites is also a well-known all-suites, extended-stay brand with a large, respectable footprint in IHG’s portfolio. There are 306 of these mainstream hotels, which are similar and slightly nicer than Candlewood Suites properties. Besides the usual room amenities including the fully equipped kitchen and large, well-lit workspace, you’ll get access to a free social happy hour, a free hot breakfast buffet, a fitness room, complimentary storage lockers, free laundry machines, and helpful staff.
16. voco voco is a distinctive upscale brand that offers high levels of consistency and fun. The brand was launched in the Europe, Middle East, and Africa region in 2018. voco, also known as voco Hotels, is a premium brand offering reliable accommodations with a flair of fun. You’ll experience a warm welcome, simple check-in, familiar surroundings, and “a little something on the house, too.” The rooms are thoughtfully furnished with cozy bedding, luxury amenities, and fast Wi-Fi. You’ll also experience voco life, which can range from a quiet morning coffee to catching up with friends over afternoon tea or kicking off a great evening at all properties.
Final Thoughts IHG’s ever-growing portfolio of brands makes it so that you can pretty much satisfy any traveler’s tastes. Many of these brands offer a more boutique feel with the added benefit of the consistency of IHG’s brand and service. Although there’s no IHG elite status tier that guarantees free breakfast (not even top-tier Spire), you’ll find that free breakfast is often included in the mainstream hotel brands, such as Holiday Inn. For the more upscale brands like Crowne Plaza and Kimpton Hotels, you might be provided with free breakfast as a welcome amenity, even with mid-tier Platinum status. You’ll automatically get mid-tier Platinum status with the IHG Premier card or IHG Select card (no longer open for new applications) and entry-level Gold status with the IHG Traveler card or IHG Classic card (no longer open for new applications). All in all, IHG is a valuable hotel chain that can be leveraged easily by point lovers. Even though IHG uses a dynamic award pricing scheme, the changes so far have mostly been positive.